Monday, July 23, 2007

Pleasant Visit to Pleasanton

I just spent two days in Pleasanton, CA visiting our friends Matt and Caroline and the newest member of their family, Thomas Francois Emilien Bono. Yep, he's the cute one:


As usual on my visits to Pleasanton, we end up spending a lot of time in Berkeley, that wonderful mecca of all things liberal and organic. We took a nice 4-mile hike through the Berkeley hills - here's a nice shot looking east out over the valley.


We posed for a photo at the halfway point:


On every visit to Berkeley I try to get to the Cheese Board for pizza and cheese - jackpot, I got both this time! I left with three new cheeses to try, as well. Each time back I also discover new places in Berkeley to go nuts about. This year Matt and Caroline took me to a Thai temple for lunch.


From the modest exterior you'd never know about the bustling courtyard full of food vending stalls and seemingly every hungry soul in Berkeley. The line was 80 people strong, but well worth the wait for the tasty dishes such as the Pad Thai and the Chicken Green Curry.


Another first-time Berkeley discovery was the Berkeley Bowl, the granddaddy of "Whole Foods"/organic type grocery stores. The plan was to just walk around and take it all in, but Caroline could not escape without a bag full of produce.

Back in Pleasanton I was introduced to the French game of petanque, which is roughly the equivalent of the Italian bocce. As it turns out, the genetic wiring for one must translate to the other, as I was a natural and won both the grass and the sand court matches! Here I am admiring one of my shots.


It's a really fun game; I only wish Alabama had more (any?) bocce courts on which to play!

This was my first time meeting Tommy. He was lots of fun and allowed me to help him out a bit as he learns to stand and balance in preparation for his toddling days that are quickly approaching!

Thanks for the hospitality, another fun visit with the Bonos!

No comments: